* i deserve a partner who thinks i hung the moon.
i deserve to think my partner is incorrect, since he is actually the one who hung the moon.
* i deserve to be with someone who wants to hold my hand as often as possible.
i deserve to be with someone who will take out the trash because it is my least favorite thing.
* i deserve a partner who can balance professional motivation with love.
i deserve to be with someone who, when i am spooked at a noise outside, will go investigate with a baseball bat.
* i deserve a partner who will be in awe of my ass in a pencil skirt.
i deserve to be with someone who will sometimes see the movies i want to see.
i deserve to be with someone who is proud to show me off.
i deserve a partner who will celebrate my successes with me, and allow me to celebrate his successes with him.
i deserve a partner who understands my need for independence, and who values his own as well.
i deserve to be with someone who can totally respect my politics, my views on religion, my love of sports, and my insatiable need for entertainment gossip, even if we don’t share the same views.
i deserve to be with someone who, even in the biggest king bed you’ve ever seen, will want to at least have our feet touching.
i deserve a partner who can communicate. like, really communicate.
* i deserve a partner who wants to read this blog because it is a window into me.
i deserve to be with someone who will take care of me when i am sick or sad or tired.
i deserve a partner who wants to go on adventures with me, wide-eyed.
i deserve a man who is a grown up. a real-deal adult.
i deserve to be someone’s #1 teammate. it is not ok with me to be #2 to anyone or anything.
* i deserve a partner who is present, emotionally and physically, more often than not.
i deserve a partner who understands the emotional exhaustion my career can sometimes cause. and at the very least i deserve a partner who wants to hear about my day.
i deserve to be with someone who truly wants to come home to me. i deserve to be his favorite.
i deserve a partner who will sneak in quietly if i am napping and put a blanket over me.
* i deserve a partner who will occasionally bring me flowers, or buy me a bar of dark chocolate at the store, or leave me a little note with a heart on it for no reason at all.
i deserve a partner who loves me without pretense or doubt.
my future husband doesn’t have to be a doctor or a lawyer or a fighter pilot. he doesn’t have to be superman or the president of the united states. he doesn’t have to be 6 foot 2 or a stand up comedian. he just needs to love me more than anyone ever has—he needs to love me to the stars and back. and he needs to be worthy of my love, because i have so very much to give. i don’t know who the man is, but i know what the love is.
this is what i have learned. and i thank the doctor and the ex for that. truly.
* i especially love.